Philip Kenner

he/they

ARTIST OF: Michael Osinski

MIDWIFE OF: Kathleen Niemann Usher

BIO

Phil is a writer and performer living in Chicago. Originally from New Rochelle, NY, Phil loves a good everything bagel with the works (lox, capers, you get it). A playwright by day and poet by night, Phil loves to play with form, and he believes a little mischief is key to any process. His play THE MALL THE MALL THE MALL recently had its world premiere at The Once and Future Festival in Chicago. He is drawn to horny, navel-gazing, pretense-busting writing, and he is currently working on his first full-length poetry manuscript. He throws a mean dinner party and won’t go down in Mario Kart without a fight. Check out philkenner.com for more of the good stuff.

WHAT I MAKE

I’m a playwright and performer looking to branch further into poetry, fiction, and podcasting. I’m also the literature editor for COPY Magazine, and I get a real kick out of working with other essayists.

INSPIRED BY

- the poetry of Ellen Bass, sam sax, and Alicia Mountain

- fleabag

- my family

- mountains

- a good piano ballad

- angst

- yearn

- being horny

- pasta

- video games

- tarot, specifically the writing of Rachel Pollack and Jessica Dore

EXPLORING

I’m in the process of launching a solo interview podcast, THE PHEEDBACK LOOP,  which covers all things culture, art, mindfulness, and gay shit! I’m coming to the Midwives for accountability and support in launching and sustaining this solo project.