KIM MORRIS
she/her/hers

ARTIST OF: Andy Kahnke

MIDWIFE OF: Colleen Asbury

BIO

I’m a writer. I love putting together puzzles. I love building things. I love coming up with an idea and building it to where it wants to go. I love people who love to go on that journey too. I love upcycling clothes. I love my dog. I love being a dog mom. I love patterns–in human behavior, in nature, in history, in the design of plants. I love high heels but I can no longer wear them because I don’t love walking on my tip toes. I love smooth-writing writing utensils with fine tips. I love homemade paper. I love styling outfits. I love traveling and talking to strangers. I love when I get my coffee/milk/chocolate syrup mixture perfect for my first cup of coffee in the morning. I really love chocolate. I love the floof behind my love pup’s ears and the way she awoos at me when she wants my attention. I love road trips and running through the woods and the way the moon in the mountains shines so bright it casts sharp shadows. I love hope because even when my depression yanks me down into a dark mossy pit that smells like rancid milk, hope somehow reaches her dirty, calloused hands down to me, pulls me up, and pushes me into the sun. I love hope because she doesn’t crack, she doesn’t put up with bullshit, and she always always always gets up.

WHAT I MAKE

Stories. Lots of stories. Sometimes they’re in fiction form, sometimes in play form, sometimes in live storytelling form, sometimes in my head. Then, when I’m stuck, I dive into a medium I know nothing about, which gets my brain out of depression and into curiosity and once curiosity is on board–look out, humans, because then there’s learning to be had and that’s when I make my own educational curriculum. I also make new clothes out of old clothes, meals with rosemary and parmesan, toys for my love pup, and I try hard to make friends with humans who make me want to be better. (Please see the aforementioned discussion of hope.)

INSPIRED BY

Style. Colors. Tutorials that show me how to do something so I can follow along and learn. Novels. Cinematography. Shoe design. DIYers. Mostly, I’m inspired by my friends because for some reason that I will not question, I’ve had the good luck to be surrounded by humans I want to be like, who make me want to be as curious, creative, and kind as they are.

EXPLORING:

How to write a play/fiction mashup. How to make a pair of jeans into a better pair of jeans by using what I have in my closet. How to communicate more effectively with my love pup. How to default to compassion instead of rage when I encounter humans who suck. How to use my overwhelming anger and fear of systems I have no control over to create bat shit crazy awesome work. I’m exploring how to live and love sustainably. It’s not as easy as you may think.Or maybe it is. I’m in learning mode with the sustainability issue.