AMY SCHWABAUER
she/her/hers

07aschwa@gmail.com

ARTIST OF: Claribel Gross

MIDWIFE OF: Liz Emmerling-Ginnow

BIO

Amy Schwabauer is a Cleveland based actor and playwright. Currently, Amy’s writing focuses on retelling myth stories from the perspectives of women; telling the unheard stories of characters on the margins. Recent credits include: Performing her one woman show “This is NOT About My Dead Dog” at the Borderlight International Theatre and Fringe Festival Cleveland (July 2019), presenting her latest work in progress “The Prettiest Little Burden” in PEI, Canada (June 2019), touring "The Events of the Warren County Fair as Observed by a Young Astronaut", a table top, toy theater adventure co-written and co-performed with Mike Geither (2015-2018).  She regularly writes 10-minute plays for Cleveland’s Manhattan Project staged reading series. Playing ‘Feste’ in “Twelfth Night” with the Cleveland Shakespeare Festival (2018). In 2017, she was named Cleveland’s Best Actress by ‘Cleveland Scene Magazine’ for her performance in “This is Not About my Dead Dog” produced by Playwrights Local and directed by Dale Heinen. She played ‘Kilbride’ in the regional premiere of “Snake Oil” written by Arwen Mitchell, directed by Sarah Greywitt (2016). In 2016, she studied Sketch Comedy Writing at The Second City Theater in Chicago. She is a graduate of Cleveland State University’s Theatre Arts Program. www.AmySchwabauer.com  @instaschwabs  

INSPIRED BY

Women Warriors and Goddesses of Mythology, Folklore, and ancient culture; A time and world that was full of magic and chaos.  

AMY.jpg

EXPLORING

After doing a lot of rewriting of existing myth stories, I wanted to write my own myth and create my own ancient culture. I'm exploring the relationship between gods and mortals but also the idea of the veil--that place between worlds, the place between the living and the dying and when that line is blurred. My current project is a solo show I am writing and working towards performing; the character is a warrior, she is being punished by the gods with the worst job in eternity--"Greeter of the Dead"; basically she's like a Walmart greeter but for the Underworld.   

Oh, and here's  a poem from Austin Kleon: 

"telescopes see
the light 
of the 
universe, 
using this trick 
known as Glass, 
it
is
our
job to know where to look."