ERICA LAUREN MAHOLMES
she/her

ARTIST OF: Bianca Thompson

MIDWIFE OF: Grant Landau-Williams

BIO

Erica is an artist who tells stories through light. She has worked for Cleveland Play House (Lighting Apprentice), Illinois Shakespeare Festival (Master Electrician), Kansas Ballet Company (Lighting Designer), Alley Theatre (Co-Lighting Designer), and Great Lakes Theatre Company (Assistant Lighting Designer), Longwood Gardens (Performance Technician), National High School Institute - Cherubs (Assistant Master Electrician) and Great Plains Theatre Conference (Design Fellow). Erica grew up in Wichita, Kansas and has lived all over the country including Illinois, Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. She is currently based in Kansas City, Kansas. She is an alumni of the Stagecraft Institute of Las Vegas, West Chester University (BA), and Illinois State University (MFA). She is a proud member of both Black Theatre Network and Design Action. In her free time she enjoys exploring National Parks, listening to audiobooks, and collecting indie fragrances.

WHAT I MAKE

I'm usually a lighting designer. I'm interested in making or creating explorations of how art makes people feel. How I can create something to present the feeling of poetry, of nature, of a moment. I don't have a specific project in mind but would be interested in discovering a project over the course of these meetings.

INSPIRED BY

Nature, music, photography, fashion, art

EXPLORING:

I'm currently finding inspiration in Photography and image manipulation. Exploring photoshop to find what feels meaningful and dynamic and how I can translate that to the stage. Trying to capture light filtering through trees, light reflected off the lake, and what I can do to recreate that feeling in space.