ELIZABETH MURPHY
she/her/hers

ARTIST OF: Emma Rund

MIDWIFE OF: Kaitlin Taylor

BIO

Currently I am a registered dietitian and diabetes educator at University of Chicago working to reduce hospitalizations among patients with Type 1 Diabetes on the Southside of Chicago. My previous jobs have found me chaperoning kids from a women and children’s shelter learning to snowboard at Mount Spokane, cooking vegetables for participants to try at a food pantry in West Garfield Park, talking to families about tube feeding regimens at a children’s hospital in Ann Arbor, and working with refugees on an urban farm in St. Louis. The common thread is connecting with people and connecting through nourishment. Whether that nourishment is through food, activity, nutrition support, or management of diabetes. I am interested in finding a way to convey my experiences in a story. Much of healthcare is calculated and strict. I am trying to find space for creativity within that in the ways that conversations with patients go but also outside of that through creation of something outside the electronic medical record.

WHAT I MAKE

I am interested in making a children's book.

INSPIRED BY

plants, being outside, connecting to people through food, and my family

EXPLORING:

Currently creativity is showing up in my life in gardening and growing vegetables. In being outside and on a bike ride. In walking through my neighborhood and taking pictures of flowers. In the coming months I would like to try finding creativity inside the house especially since Chicago winters don't lend themselves to creativity outside (still possible but a lot colder). I would specifically like to try writing a children's book about food and body positivity.