MOLLY ANDREWS-HINDERS
she/her/hers

mollyah88@gmail.com

ARTISTIC DISCIPLINES: Music creation, Theatre, Movement, Writing

ARTIST OF: Katie Hettenbach

MIDWIFE OF: Andrea Prestinario

BIO

Molly Andrews-Hinders is a theatre creator, songwriter, and movement educator. Her most recent project is Emergence, a movement and musical score for healing, synthesizing, and finding power in this messy, unjust world. Created with 7 ensemble members, Emergence was featured at Prop Thtr’s Rhinofest and Cleveland Public Theatre’s Test Flight series. Molly was lead artist, director, and composer for ENDependence, an original piece exploring the opioid epidemic, and was produced through partnership between MetroHealth and Cleveland Public Theatre. Additionally, Molly recently created and recorded a soundscape featured in Maelstrom Collaborative Arts’ show Wandering, a piece that invited audiences to attend one at a time for a COVID-safe live show. Molly regularly performs around the Cleveland area as a singer-songwriter, in traditional, non-traditional, and virtual performance spaces.

INSPIRED BY

people, making connections/building webs, hiking, biking, (many of my interests/hobbies inspire me), travel, synchronicity, good music, new ways of approaching the day/breaking down thought habits, my family, community building, moving with a group of people, singing with a group of people

EXPLORING:

I would love to create a piece that delves into why, as a society, we are so disconnected from our bodies. I want to tackle the deficiencies (even negligence) of our current P.E. curriculum standards and how they support hierarchy of bodies by teaching largely through competitive sports. As children and as adults, we don't have many opportunities to learn about our bodies - bones, muscles, tendons, organs, physiology, the physical impacts of emotion - we learn about performance. We don't practice how to have a productive conversation with our bodies, we learn about outcomes. What is our process for developing positive conversation with body, connection to other bodies, interdependence within and among bodies? How can we grow our understanding in ourselves by processing and healing from the shitty messages we internalize daily? How can we become mycelium, fungi, that recycle the toxic and grow great webs of mutual benefit and nourishment?

Paralleling those questions of bodies and societal impact and coming together, I'm interested in exploring how ritual and spiritual connection can help to grow connection with ourselves, each other, and build a bridge to a liberatory future.

Working Title: What I Wish I Learned in PE or Building the Plane as We're Flying (??)

INSPIRATION FOR PROJECT:

Taking Root to Fly by Irene Dowd, Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets, The Body is Not an Apology by Sonya Renee Taylor, The Thinking Body by Mabel Todd