MAGDALEN ZINKY
she/her/hers

magdalen.zinky@gmail.com

ARTISTIC DISCIPLINES: Theatre, Writing, Podcasting/radio

ARTIST OF: Emily J Sannini

MIDWIFE OF: Alex Mallory

BIO

Magdalen Zinky is a multi-disciplinary theatre maker and writer whose work explores feminine identity, belonging, and rage. Previous productions include The Limit of the Tongue, The Bacchus Effect (The Daughters Collective), In Repayment (The Junkyard), and 8th Annual Womens Retreat, a solo play. She is a founding member of The Junkyard, a low carbon footprint theatre and media company based in Greeneville, TN. Her writing has appeared in Plane Tree Journal, Brit + Co, Ariel Chart, Red Sky, and Knack Magazine. She also hosts the podcast The 24 Hour Woman and blogs on her website magdalenzinky.com. She holds an MFA in Theatre from Sarah Lawrence College and a BA in Acting from the College of Santa Fe.

INSPIRED BY

My lack of free time, geometry in nature, rhythm in words, a sense of responsibility to do my work in the world

EXPLORING:

"Blood Sister" is a trilogy of plays exploring feminine identity through an examination (with giant hands and much chanting) of the supposed hallmarks of a womxn's life: loss of virginity, betrothal and marriage, birth, providing for one's family, running for office, eviscerating one's enemies, and death. Gods are present and so are aliens, but mostly they're just toying with us. 

Anyway, I'd like to bring this to life on stage while also playing around with the new restrictions the pandemic has brought to our lives.

INSPIRATION FOR PROJECT:

Sibyl Kempson, Charles Mee, flamenco, the horrors of the modern wedding scene