IAN BONNER
he/him/his

ian.bonner@gmail.com

ARTISTIC DISCIPLINES: Music, Comedy, Sketch writing, Improv performance

ARTIST OF: Ben Gantose

MIDWIFE OF: Jessica Hart

BIO

Ian is a Clinical Psychologist, improv actor, and singer. He recently transitioned from running an LGBTQ+ focused therapy practice to working independently as the founder of FreeLife Behavioral Health. Ian chose the name FreeLife because Freedom is what he is all about in his work as a therapist and as an artist. Freedom from pain, freedom to express, and freedom from the things we've internalized that limit who we can be. Past creative ventures include being a graduate of The Second City's conservatory, performing for years in a variety of comedy groups, and singing in choirs and cars.

INSPIRED BY

Positivity, fervor, seeing people overcome shit, dark humor, compassion, innovation, sexuality, honesty.

EXPLORING:

I sure don't fully know what I want to do! I'm very interested in the moment in creating lightboxes. These would be internally illuminated boxes that emit richly saturated colors. I became initially very interested in light art after visiting the Chinati Foundation in Marfa TX in 2018 and seeing the incredible light installations there. In a time isolation and as winter comes, I also notice the need for art in private spaces and the powerful impact of rich, illuminated, saturated colors on mood. I could really use support in learning all I'll need to know in creating these from the wood aspect to the electrical to the translucent materials. 

Completely unrelated: I also would be very interested in writing a sketch show at the moment. I've written quite a few in the past but haven't been able to connect with that in a long time given my last job and the demands there. I would really be up for the joy in getting to create another one and finding the inspiration that comes from the collaborative process of doing that with input and support.

INSPIRATION FOR PROJECT:

Dan Flavin's work at the Chinati foundation: https://chinati.org/collection/dan-flavin/

Letecia Quesenberry's contemporary light box work: https://www.instagram.com/lettyq_/