AMY SCHWABAUER
she/her/hers

07aschwa@gmail.com

ARTISTIC DISCIPLINES: Comedy, Playwriting, Performance, Toy theater

ARTIST OF: Errol McLendon

MIDWIFE OF: Fern Pinkston

BIO

Hello, I'm Amy Schwabauer, a Cleveland-based actor and playwright. Currently, my plays and solo performances recreate classic narratives and retell the stories of female archetypes. I question and rewrite the pantheon of women we’ve inherited and delve into the relationships between gods and mortals.  I also explore the idea of the veil, that place between the living and the dead worlds, and actively question the foundations of the hero’s journey.

Although my most recent works vary widely in their approaches, they are consistent in questioning the role of women in a historical context.  Through traditional story-telling, stand-up comedy and improv-based character building, I explore the roles of the female warrior, monster and sorceress.  To date, I have worked in formal theatrical settings and less traditional spaces - bars, bookstores, warehouses, and private residences. 

At heart, I am both an actor and writer dedicated to understanding how women negotiate a world that denies them godliness.

Oh, and I also do sketch comedy... so that's fun too! 

INSPIRED BY

life

EXPLORING:

I want to create a new play.

INSPIRATION FOR PROJECT:

autobiographical, Fleabag