MEKALA SRIDHAR
she/her/hers

mekala.sridhar@gmail.com

ARTIST OF: Christina Watkins

MIDWIFE OF: Kate Belyi

BIO

Mekala Sridhar is passionate about directing, writing, arts administration, and theatre education. In the past, she has worked for a wide range of theatre companies, like North Coast Repertory Theatre, Coronado Playhouse, La Jolla Playhouse, Blindspot Collective, and the Old Globe, and she is currently the producing apprentice at Studio Theatre. Mekala graduated from Sarah Lawrence College with a B.A. in theatre, literature, and psychology.

INSPIRED BY

cartoons, fairytales, Hatecopy, myth, magical realism, Naomi Iizuka, pop art, postcolonial theory, Reetika Vazirani, religion and ritual, Shakespeare, trauma psychology

Peter Brook and Shantala Shivalingappa

Peter Brook and Shantala Shivalingappa

EXPLORING

In the past, I’ve often given myself a very narrow definition of who I can be as an artist, restricting myself with the kinds of works I make. I’m interested in expanding what my artistic process is when it’s not tied to a specific end result by creating many tiny projects over the course of this term that are usually irreverent, a little silly, freeing, and full of joy in the most surprising ways. This term has been peppered with some freewrites and doodles, but mostly with making a series of cartoons called “The Art Boys,” a collection of photographs-turned-cartoons mocking famous male “geniuses” of the art world.