CHRISTINA M WATKINS
she/her/hers

christinamichellewatkins@gmail.com

ARTIST OF: Elisabeth (Lily) Lloyd Burkhalter

MIDWIFE OF: Mekala Sridhar

BIO

Christina Michelle Watkins (Chris), is many things: Black, bi-queer, ciswoman, actor, writer, director, social justice warrior, advocate, therapist, survivor, advocate, lover, friend, encourager, dancer, recovering workaholic ... She's lived in North Carolina, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Connecticut, and now calls Oakland, California one of her homes--(if home is where the heart is, then she has plenty of homes all over the USA.) She was a founding member of the Fabrefaction Theatre Company (Atlanta Georgia) and, in 2013, her play, kumrads won't, premiered at the New York Fringe Festival where it was awarded "Overall Excellence in Writing". Christina graduated from the University Of Chicago with a Masters of Social Work. Since then, she was worked with the Orthogenic Residential School in Chicago, the Yale Child Guidance Clinic, the Westcoast Children's Clinic, and engaged/is engaging in private practice work in both Chicago and Oakland. When not working (she's really trying! Promise!  #intersectingidentities, #intergenerationaltrauma, #reclaimingmyjoy), she is trying to decolonize her mind and body, let herself laugh, orient to pleasure, and enjoy life with her partner of 7 years, friends, friend-family, and family. She will happily provide you with videos of her niece and nephew and stories regarding them. Also--don't touch her hair.

INSPIRED BY

Music (Koffee, Nina Simone, Raveena, Billie Eilish, Sevdaliza, Ari Lennox, Estelle, Tanerélle, Lianna La Havas, Black T)

Water (ocean, streams, lakes, rain, tears)

Light 

Trees

EXPLORING

I've identified as a writer as long as I can remember; always put words on their own special pedestal. However, I'm currently exploring ways to communicate beyond the constraint of words. I'm particularly interested in the ways in which the body holds and expresses that which won't fit within letters and syllables; the ways knowledge, memory, history, and emotion live in our muscles, tendons, and bones. I've been experimenting with different modalities of somatic movement, pairing them with silence, with music, and with spoken word to see...well, to see what happens! My hope is to construct a somatic movement piece to layer atop of a poem I wrote, feast, and to perform it while another artist concurrently brings life to the words.