Emma Burkey

she/her

BIO

I'm a Theatre Arts student at DePaul University who is interested in playwriting, directing and acting. I'm from Dallas, Texas and have found a new home in Chicago over the past three years. I'm very passionate about devised work, and I hope to get more experience in Theatre of the Oppressed. I'm currently working on my minor in Peace, Justice, and Conflict Studies and I hope to bring what I learn in those classes to my theatrical practice. I enjoy collaging, making playlists, hanging out with friends and seeing live music!

WHAT I MAKE

Devised work, even possible solo work that I could perform?

INSPIRED BY

Music absolutely inspires me. The storytelling that comes out in songs is so compelling, and tones of songs often inspire my writing. I am also inspired by work I see my classmates do- especially visual elements such as scenic design and costumes. My family and my childhood shows up in different ways in my plays, so though less intentionally, that does inspire me. This is a playlist I created for the play I'm working on as an example of familial and musical inspiration: 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0t4WRpp1KjE1K6V669gJaJ?si=7c1feb8fc12245f7

EXPLORING

Creativity is showing up in my theatre classes: directing, playwriting, dramatic criticism and casting. In the spring, I plan to participate as an actor/collaborator in a devised work at The Theatre School that Coya Paz-Brownrigg is directing, and I would love to get more experience with devised/new work before this process. I'm currently trying to write a full-length play and getting feedback on this is something I hope to get in the next few months.