MEREDITH KING
she/her/hers

ARTIST OF: Joe Schupbach

MIDWIFE OF: Kandy Christensen

BIO

Meredith L. King (she/her) makes words and sounds collide on the stage and the page, including work as a playwright, performer, lyricist, and soundsmith. 

As a young(er) artist, Meredith’s work was focused on highlighting the voices of those at the margins– those who are hypervisible and invisible. As her work has evolved over 20 years of artistry, Meredith’s focus has expanded to exploring collisions. How do our multiple identities, truths and realities, legacies and loyalties collide when there are no easy lines to draw about who and what is important to us? How do the structures we live in magnify and erase the collisions we would expect when we are in proximity to one another?  She is deeply inspired by Afro-surrealism, mixed media visual art, and the Black Arts Movement. Meredith received a B.A. from Stanford University and an M.B.A from Yale University. Her artistic credits include work with Karamu House, Women’s Theatre Festival, Cleveland Public Theatre, Talespinner Children’s Theatre, Round House Theatre’s Heyday Players, dog & pony dc, eXtreme eXchange, The Hegira and African Continuum Theatre. Meredith is a dog mom to a delightful and sassy Bichon named Stokely who ensures that she takes time to smell the dandelions. She also enjoys collaging and doing sound experiments in her “free time.”

WHAT I MAKE

An illustrated memoir, a mixtape, plays about BIPOC people, collages just for fun, laugh-cringe responses, artistic community.

INSPIRED BY

Afro-surrealism, collisions, sounds, Titus Kaphar, memes, overlap in pre-colonial in beliefs from entirely different groups of people, Afrofuturism, fatness, boundaries, dreaming of my next vacation, graphs and charts of qualitative data, Venn diagrams

EXPLORING:

I'm currently putting most of creative energy in a book project that I began during last years Midwives term. I am writing a sharp but humorous memoir-ish book centered on a period of time of psychiatric hospitalization, the struggle to work through trauma, and to understand what "wellness" looks like for a fat Black person with systems that are not really designed to create it. The more I write, the more excited I am about the work, but it also takes a lot out of me and I definitely feel the need for some emotional support through the process as I continue. That said, though I would like to use my Midwives time to work more on this book, I am also finding that I am creatively thirsting to bring my sound work (and goals) back into my practice just to feed my own creative instincts and self-care (perhaps to work further on the book!)