HANNAH BLAU
she/her

ARTIST OF: Claire Bauman

MIDWIFE OF: Maggie Wanecke

BIO

Hannah is a teaching and theater artist in Chicago. She has taught at various arts education organizations around the city. She is a co-founder of Chicago Youth Shakespeare Alumni Players, a satellite organization of Chicago Youth Shakespeare, committed to CYS alumni outreach. She is a graduate of the University of Manchester, UK where she planned as residency for people serving time at HMP Preston, and produced original research on theater education’s role in the social and emotional development of high-school-aged young adults. Recent ventures include assistant directing, dancing for fun, and playwriting. She is interested in integrating movement, student theater, and classic texts.

WHAT I MAKE

I make theater in many different ways. I am interested in exercising my playwriting muscle.

INSPIRED BY

Shakespeare, high school students, modern dance, performative identity, my partner

EXPLORING:

I am trying on the role of playwright. I have a a first draft of an adaptation of Shakespeare's Measure for Measure that deals with issues of consent. I would like to develop into a fully realized piece. More ambitiously, I would like to collaborate with high school students or people in prison to create new work.