ELSTON
they/them

ARTIST OF: Jana Ross

MIDWIFE OF: Christy Bailey

BIO

elston is a transient jew recently rooted in rural southwestern iowa. they are sad and anxious and frequently laugh really really loud and joyously. they have been writing for most of their life, used to act in plays, play music poorly, and are so lucky to learn from and with plants, herbs, animals, love, g*d, peers, elders, ancestors, the tarot. 

WHAT I MAKE

writing, cozy comfy spaces and gatherings, zines, collage, home

INSPIRED BY

moving really slowly, my siblings, seeing beautiful things people have created, sleeping and dreams, tears and crying, live music, fire, magic, ritual, wild and true ideas, poetry, fiction

EXPLORING:

i am afraid of and distrustful of my own creativity. i have relied on numbing my creativity and grief as a way to cope with life and fit into stories i was told about myself. it breaks my heart to imagine having a creative practice — how free will i be if i can trust myself to show up and celebrate my creativity? 

themes of ancestry and cycles are compelling right now, and i am interested in building an art practice that is centered around process, honoring the reality that nothing is permanent, and embodying impermanence by treating everything as an iteration to be celebrated and metabolized. also thinking a lot about home and building home