BRYCE VOLRATH
he/him

ARTIST OF: Meredyth Ohringer

MIDWIFE OF: Kathleen Niemann

BIO

I'm a Pisces, but most of all I am an artist. I've lived and worked in Toronto for about ten years and got into theatre to make art that I believe in. I believe in lots of things, but love, freedom, and artistic expression are probably the big three things I write about or work with. Reason being, without artists to help express thoughts and feelings - as a society we're stuck, so I reckon love and freedom and the artist's ability to express these things is a boon for everyone. I won't front and write I love all artistic expression, but I certainly like the idea of it and am glad for the people doing it. Further, it doesn't have to be weighty either. Sometimes the revolution is expressed in being silly. BLORP. I just did it, and I'll do it again!

WHAT I MAKE

I'm interested in making art. I like that because I don't think art is confined to easels or the Louvre. Unless it is, and then this is unfortunate, but I do think art is multi-disciplinary to start with, so dancing, singing, visual art, words - all these things can be combined into a melange that is really electrifying for the spirit - in a good way.

INSPIRED BY

I am inspired by nature and I suppose conversations. I'm really interested in creativity and where it lives. For example - I think filling out forms is not especially fun (barring this one because this isn't bad at all) - so perhaps I would add an Esq. to my name or go by the nickname Mr. Peanut. No one calls me that in real life, of course, but I think it's interesting to bring creativity to spaces that don't have it. Contrarily, I also feel like often spaces can be too creative - we're spinning tops on clouds in a park and I'm thinking 'I just want to relax,' so I think time, space, energy, and where we spend it and 'find' creativity is inspiring.

EXPLORING:

I really like music. I play percussion and also like to sing (not well). I also really like funk, r&b, hip-hop, dance, pop, all kinds of genres because music is a great way to express yourself. I also enjoy walking, running, meditation, role-playing games (think D&D), writing, riding a bike, eating hamburgers, dancing is great. Telling stories is good, and creating art.