ASHLEY LAVERTY
she/her

ARTIST OF: Kandy Christensen

MIDWIFE OF: Thomas Murray

BIO

Ashley Laverty is the founding Artistic Director of Kerfuffle, a theatre company devoted to creating performances with and for children under 6 years old. Under her leadership, Kerfuffle brings original, engaging, and accessible theatre experiences to children in museums, libraries, parks, and community centers all over the country. With Kerfuffle, she has developed and directed "Toad Hall",  "The Conductors", "Goose and Gert", "Nested", and "The Caterpillar's Footprint". 

Ashley is a teaching artist and specializes in drama in the early childhood classroom. Currently, Ashley is proud to be a teaching artist with Lifeline Theatre, The Kennedy Center, Filament Theatre, and The Stage School. Additionally, she is a director, playwright and actor, and has performed or had her work produced nationally at the Omaha Theater Company at The Rose, Brelby Theatre, Purple Crayon Players, National Theatre for Children, VEE, Roxy Regional Theatre, Vital Theatre Company and Storyland, a children's amusement park. ​Ashley holds an M.F.A in Theatre for Youth from Arizona State University and a B.A. in Theatre Arts from Point Park University. She lives in Chicago with her orange cat, Ron Weasley.

WHAT I MAKE

I make theatre - for very young children typically, but am interested in working on a play for adult audiences.

INSPIRED BY

Nature, Lake Michigan, Walks around my neighborhood, Naps, Working with children, Sunshine, Coffee, Bagels with cream cheese

EXPLORING:

I want to write a play for adult audiences - which I haven't attempted since college. It's inspired by my mother and the house in which she currently lives - which used to belong to her parents. It's a story centered around her, and the women that surround her, who have helped form who she is today: her mother and aunt, and my sister and I.