ALMA VALIENT
she/her

ARTIST OF: Kathleen Niemann

MIDWIFE OF: Mary Regalado

BIO

Well, I've been a storyteller and a writer all of my life. I am a historian by training and probably a teacher and an activist by vocation.

I am a mother and mothering has been very important to me in finding my artistry and in claiming it. I have been born in one country and jumped around the world through circumstances and choice all of my life. I don't really feel like I belong in any one place. I guess I'm more transnational rather than any nationality.

I'm fully bilingual in Spanish and English and I can play around with romance languages.

I am both high culture and low culture. I am amused by going through a carwash just as I am by sitting in nature with my crazy Gremlin dog just as I am by talking to my daughter and just as I am by reading a novel by Sally Rooney except I want to throttle Sally Rooney's neck out of envy, of course, not good envy just envy.

I am finishing a divorce process that has left me both brokenhearted and free and I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do as I grow up which is ironic and a little sad because I'm 50 years old.

WHAT I MAKE

Oh, I've made three novels in my lifetime. I've made historical works and journal articles and probably things that were full of shit but well written. I actually make photos. I do enjoy photography. I make really good pancakes. And I'm mentioning this because now that life has changed I find myself having a bit more time and I make something called the Gaby Mess, which is pancakes that are completely grain free with blueberries and blackberries. And then I put a whole bunch of marscapone cheese on it with some cinnamon sugar and then I just chop it all up, put it in a bowl, and that's a meal and it really is delicious. I don't toot my own horn in the kitchen very often because I don't have that talent. But I was thinking of the Eton mess and I'm like, that's kind of posh and stupid why don't I just make my own so I did. And it's lovely.

INSPIRED BY

I would say beauty and beauty could come in the form of words that are linked well together and touch the heart and the brain.

I'm inspired by honesty and courage because everything that we do in terms of artistry and creativity takes a great amount of honesty and courage. And if I resonate with it, it will inspire me.

EXPLORING:

That's just part of the reason I'm here. I don't really have many anymore. I mean, I read but I've always read. I don't think that's a hobby, that’s just me. I'm interested in Korean culture and Korean language. I would have said film. But film has changed a lot since the Marvel era started and I'm not that interested in that. I'll have to put in my dog. She just came into our lives in October sort of very out of the blue. I've been resisting having a dog for many years because that's another thing to take care of and she's not taking care of me she's a drain. But when I was little I was raised with a chihuahua called Juguete which means toy. And Juguete brought me the biggest of joys. So I'm kind of hoping that spirit is going to be around this little gremlin and sort of bring some joy back.

And I like to walk, I'll say that I do like to walk. I used to like to travel but I don't know what that's like anymore.

I used to like to go to bookstores and music stores but those don't really exist anymore and buy something everywhere I travel. I do enjoy eating. I will say that. If someone cooks for me something nice and different I will very much enjoy that.