EMILY RITGER
she/her/hers

emilyritger@gmail.com

ARTIST OF: Rebecca Anderson

MIDWIFE OF: Fern Pinkston

BIO

Emily Ritger, is a maker and teacher based in Chicago. She is currently on faculty at Carthage College and the National High School Institute at Northwestern. As an administrator, and director developing new work, she has worked for American Theatre Company, Redmoon, Cleveland Public Theatre, and Northlight Theatre. Her training includes Viola Spolin Theatre Games, Viewpoints, Puppetry, Contact Improv, music, and ensemble based work. She is the founder of The Midwives, an artist cooperative developing new work across mediums. Emily received her MFA from Sarah Lawrence College, a BS in Theatre and Philosophy from the University of Evansville, and has trained at La MaMa Umbria in Italy and Paul Sills’ Wisconsin Theatre Game Center.

INSPIRED BY

I am inspired by the seasons, by growing things and cooking things. I am inspired by early mornings, when I surprise myself by getting out of bed - and treat myself to slowly drinking tea in the sunroom. I am inspired by trees and the woods, and the spaces and land we return to. And I am inspired by the space we share with others, the time we give to growing relationships and community.

EXPLORING

I am exploring the stories that get stuck in our brains, the stories and events we know as children and how they grow and expand into works of fiction and fantasy that haunt. This year I have returned to a solo show I last touched in 2016. It’s about one day in my family’s history. We all remember it differently, hold it differently, think about it or not think about it - differently. There are a lot of things I don’t know about that day, but when I think about the days in my life that make me, me - it is the first day I think of.